Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Real Adventures Begin (or will soon)

We began the day with a look at the poem by Margaret Atwood below, responding to this question: Slide 2 Think of the Odyssey. In your warm-up, write about who you think is speaking in the poem and to whom is s/he speaking. Explain why you think this.
We spent the rest of the period delving further into Odysseus' adventures, with most classes getting into book 9.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Slide 2

Pig Song


This is what you changed me to:

a graypink vegetable with slug

eyes, buttock

incarnate, spreading like a slow turnip,


a skin you stuff so you may feed

in your turn, a stinking wart

of flesh, a large tuber

of blood which munches

and bloats. Very well then. Meanwhile

I have the sky, which is only half

caged, I have my weed corners,

I keep myself busy, singing

my song of roots and noses,


my song of dung. Madame,

this song offends you, these grunts

which you find oppressively sexual,

mistaking simple greed for lust.


I am yours. If you feed me garbage,

I will sing a song of garbage.

This is a hymn.



No comments: